It has always been one of my greatest endeavours to complete a road trip around the coast of Australia. After all, Australia is my home and what is a better way to understand more about your home but to travel around it yourself.
This long-term goal will be likely split into 6 parts (as far as I can foresee right now).
- Part 1 – Sydney > Melbourne > Adelaide (Completed Jan 2017)
- Part 2 – Sydney > Tasmania (Expected Completion sometime late 2017)
- Part 3 – Adelaide > Perth (Expected Completion sometime 2018)
- Part 4 – Perth > Darwin
- Part 5 – Darwin > Cairns
- Part 6 – Sydney > Brisbane > Cairns
Rules of engagement:
- All trips taken will be strictly by road only and be using flights as a means to arrive at the beginning or end of the trip.
- Camping on beaches and grounds will be the number one option when on the road with the exception of when in major cities.
- Self-made / self-cooked food (including by campfire) where possible unless tasting a local cuisine or delicacy.
- Plan only the major routes and attractions and plan for worst case scenarios. Leave the rest to intuition and fate.
- Meet locals wherever possible and ask them for knowledge of local things to do and see. Embrace all cultures, indigenous or otherwise with respect and an eagerness to learn and contribute.
Overcoming my Fears
Biggest fears for this trip include the following – Snakes, spiders, drop bears….well pretty much every dangerous animal that might stalk me in the middle of the night. The water level rising up to my tent in the middle of the night making bringing my tent into the ocean floating. Breaaaakkkkkdowwwnnssss as in mechanically for my car, not mentally, hopefully not mentally. Sadly hitting animals on the road :'(. Obviously crazy people!. Picking up hitchhiker’s (although I maybe shouldn’t hmm i don’t know how I feel about this yet, probably too risky as I am alone). I fear the loneliness might get to me. The looonnngggggg drive, possibly leading to fatigue. Monsters in the dark, including ghosts and aliens and the whole paranormal and supernatural *shivers*…(come on Jason you’re not 5 anymore harden up).
Update Jan 2017: So far I have overcome all of those fears and none of them has stopped me on my track! Shows you how much fears actually play a part in your life when you just jump over them.