There are certain places in the world that are unlike so many others. Many of which have been lost and hidden in time and history.
When I ask myself the questions which ponder at our worlds greatest histories, it often revolves around how they came to be, what was it that made it so incredible and how can I today recreate it. I speak of the great routes and paths of ancient and modern history, routes which have defined much of the worlds cities, societies and cultures that we see today and for centuries to come.
From the ancient Silk Road to the path Gandhi took on his peaceful Salt march, from Alexander the Great’s conquest to the Germans march across Belgium which sparked WW1, from the many pilgrimages millions take each year for their faith in religion and/or spirituality, these are the paths in which history has and continue to be written. These paths not only gave way to the trade of rare commodities, knowledge from travellers of far away cities, cultural and societal norms and beliefs; but they also gave way to much of the violence and conquest that we have seen in histories past.
To re-enact and follow in these great footsteps of history, I hope to seek a greater understanding of our past. Some of my major goals in life revolve around completing these journeys ahead, following the towns and cities, the cultures and stories in which they passed; because maybe, just maybe by seeking to understand our greatest histories can we begin to build and even greater future.
Thanks for reading ^__^
Some of these major routes I seek are listed here below, is there a famous route that changed the world that you would like to embark on one day?
- The Silk Road – An ancient trade route connecting the East to West
- The Gospel Trail – Following the footsteps of Jesus and his disciples
- Alexander the Great – His journey of conquest
- The Salt March – Led by Gandhi which in turn began a wide protest for Independence in India
- The Inca Trail – A hiking trail to Machu Picchu in Peru, an ancient civilisation which thrived in the Peruvian mountains
- The Eight Great Sites – The path of Buddha and his journey to enlightenment
- The Hajj – The annual pilgrimage for millions of Muslims to the city of Mecca